1.10.2012

Soctopus {or part of a baby shower gift}

A while back, I shared the baby shower gifts I made for my friend's little girl. I wanted to share a quick little tutorial on how I made the Soctopus! One of the best parts of this project...you get two for the price of one!

I got the idea for the Soctopus from this cute little post on making a sock out of an owl. I had already made an owl for my little miss, so I went to thinking what else I could make out of a sock. Hence, soctopus!


First, pick up some cute adult sized, knee high socks. I got mine for $2.50 at Target. And, can I say, they are cute! I might have to go back for a pair for myself. It gets chilly here!


Stuff the sock with poly fill. Stuff as much as you'd like to get the shape you like. 


Now, this is a very, very importnat step. Take time to laugh at your daughter {and your husband who left the magazine on the floor} as she eats her daddy's ESPN Magazine. 


Cut some felt eyes and hot glue them on.


Push all the stuffing up as far as you can. Then, sew a zig-zag stich as close up to the wad of stuffing as you can. 


Cut the band off the bottom of the sock and then cut yourself eight {its an octopus after all} arms.


Repeat all the above steps for soctopus #2. Then, give one to your little one to enjoy and pass one along for a friend {or do as I did and give it as a shower gift!}

Let me know if any of that was jumbled. I wrote it in several sittings between chasing down the army crawling fiend that is my little miss these days. {And my husband delivered the heart breaking news today that we won't be able to install a baby gate between the living room and the kitchen. ARGH!}

Come party with me!


4 comments:

  1. Haha...cute idea! Just the name makes me giggle. Would you consider sharing it here?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/shine-on-fridays-10-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! And simple too. I bet my munchkins would put it in their mouths.. lol.

    I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party if you get a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on Nap Time Crafters. (Yay for CDing) Such a fantastic post! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Thanks SO much for that sweet lil note about my cake pops!! Oh, and I love the snowflake wreath you made! I followed you and would appreciate it if you would return the 'love' on your next visit!
    XO
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete