5.09.2012

A Simple Sign Tutorial {or fun with distressing}


So remember my post last week on what I sent my sweet and wonderful Package Pal, Clarissa? Well in it, I promised a rather life changing tutorial on how to make the sign I sent her {Class started today so I am a bit more sarcastic than usual.}. 

This wonderful little sign is easy to make. The possibilities are really endless. 

Here's the supplies I used:
6inx12inx1/4in Board {About $1.50 from Michael's}
Two colors of paint {One craft paint and one Oops paint from Lowe's}
Foam brush
Vinyl and Silhouette {You don't need any kind of cutting machine to make this. You can cut the letters on your own and even use contact paper, buy a stencil, or paint the letters on}
Sandpaper
Spray Paint Sealer


First, you'll paint the board the color you want your letters to be. I painted the whole board so that the white would show through when I distressed it. I was running low on paint so I did two coats where the words would be and one coat everywhere else. 


After your base paint has dried, apply vinyl letters to your board {I forgot to take a picture of this step. Sorry!}. 


Next, apply two layers of paint to your board, including over your vinyl. Allow to dry.


After your paint is dry {I waited overnight}, carefully peel off your vinyl letters. Now you've got your base coat of paint spelling out the word you put down in vinyl.

To distress your sign, take a fine sandpaper and sand the edges and corners to your liking. I also sanded some areas on top to add to the distressed look. 

Before spraying the sealer over your sign, you should be sure to clean off any dust. I used a blowdryer on low heat and high force. I was too impatient to wipe with damp cloth and wait for it to dry.


After you've let your sealer dry, you're good to display your new sign. The reason I chose such thin board was so it would be light enough to use Command strips to hold the sign up. Now you can have a pretty sign without having to hurt the wall to hang it {I'm a renter. These things are importnat to me!}.

I'd love to see what signs you make! Send me an email at coveredinmodpodge@gmail.com or leave a comment with a blog link!


8 comments:

  1. What a cute sign! You make it look so simple too.. Ive tried this before and it was a huge craft FAIL! wah wah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute. I hope you can come and share this at the Sunday Round Up Link Party. It starts every Saturday @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Rose
    PS.
    Love your blog. I'm now following

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! I'd love to see what you think of my little space: http://accordingtol1128.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. So that's how it's done?! I will pin this so I'll know how to get back to here to check it out. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet project, thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great sign and a great blog! Saw you at Making Monday Marvelous and am happily following you via GFC and looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! We would love for you to come share it at our weekly link party and enter to win a $50 gift card to Mikarose Clothing!

    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/05/strut-your-stuff-saturday-link-party_11.html

    Love,
    The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey friend! You were the most viewed link last week! Check it out tonight :)

    ReplyDelete