2.05.2013

Fabric and Tulle Clip Tutorial {or taming the toddler's hair}


When I found out I was having a girl, I started making all sorts of headbands. I just love a sweet little headband on a sweet baby girl's head. My daughter made it very clear she did not feel the same way. She still thinks headbands are for the birds.

However, I'm starting to get her to wear clips. So, I'm back to making cute little accessories for my little miss. Plus, she has thinner than thin curly hair that goes every which way. Clips are starting to become necessary to tame her bangs. So, when I had a bit of fabric left over from my Thirty Minute Valentine's Day Shirt I knew it needed to be a clip.

Want to make your own? You'll need...
Fabric scraps
Tulle scraps
Disappearing ink pen
Circle to trace
Button/other center item
Hot glue/gun


Start by cutting out nine circles from your fabric and eight from your tulle. I've found Washi tape to be a great size for things like this.

I used pinking sheers because I think it hides my poor cutting skills. Also, they make for a nice texture. You'll want to trim one of your fabric down to about 2/3rds the size of the rest of your circles.


To keep my tulle from shifting while I was cutting, I clipped them together.


To make your petals, fold your fabric petal in half, wrong sides together.


Then, fold in half again.


Repeat with your tulle and stack the two petals.


Glue the tip of both petals to the center your smaller circle.

Repeat this process with three more petal sets. This will make your first layer.

Now, do the same thing with your next four petal sets. This should give you a full and fluffy flower.


Glue your button/other embellishment to the center of the flower. I added a little felt heart to the top of my button.


Glue your flower to a clip/headband of your choice and you're all set!


Come check out a matching 30 Minute Valentine's Day Shirt over at The Grant Life.


Come party with me! C.R.A.F.TMommy By Day, Crafter By NightShwin & ShwinTip JunkieSouthern LovelyUncommon DesignsSomewhat SimpleYesterday on TuesdayHouse of Hempworths52 MantelsThe CSI ProjectSerenity NowTatertots and JelloFamily Ever AfterThe Grant LifePositively SplendidI {Heart} Nap TimeIt's Overflowing

1 comment: