1.08.2013

Hearts on a Stick {or baby shower decorations tutorial}

So way back in October I shared with you a cute little blanket I made for a baby shower that I co-hosted. At the end of the post, I mentioned that I would be sharing some tutorials for decorations and favors. That was October...this is January. Better late than never, right?

When it came to planning decorations, the other hosts were pretty set on the idea of a diaper cake. I was dead against it. I always thought they would be a pain to make or way too much money for far too little diapers. I wish I had met my new blog friend Liz before I made these adorable little hearts.

Liz is a momma business woman and the creative force behind ediapercakes.com. I just can not get over how beautiful her diaper cakes are! They are loaded with about 75 Pamper's Swaddlers size one diapers and decorated with books, toys, and other useful baby items. While I love these little hearts I made, I sure wish I had seen ediapercakes.com before I went to all this work!


These little heart decorations were a bit tedious to make but well worth the effort. One of these days I'm going to make another set for my desk at work!

I used both scraps and a couple of 1/8th yard cuts that the momma to be picked out to make these guys. You'll also need wood skewers, hot glue/gun, and polyfill.


Start by making a template heart and go to town cutting. I used pinking sheers to cut down on fraying. Plus, I think its a cute look. I may or may not have cut out  these things during a three day long crisis response training. It kept me sane as the instructor told horrifying stories about icky, icky things he had seen as a paramedic.


Hot glue about 2/3rds of two hearts, wrong sides together. Make sure you leave the bottom as part of the open third. Stuff with polyfill to your desired fluffiness.


Then, add hot glue to the open part, shove your skewer in, and scrunch everything together.


The assembly process happened on my living room floor, using a Costco brownie box as a desk, and while watching football. I really need to finish making my crafting desk!


The jars are upcycled pasta sauce and salsa jars with leftover fabric hot glued to them.


These little guys went home with the momma to be and other guests after the BBQ shower. I have a feeling these will become regular party decorations for me. Easy, cute, and different...my kind of decorations!

This post was sponsored by ediapercakes.com. All opinions and content are 100% my own. Questions? Check out my Disclosure page. 



Come party with me!


4 comments:

  1. These turned out really cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are sooo cute! Lovely creation you got there. That's one of the best baby shower decorations I've seen that I can suggest to my friend who's going to have a baby shower soon.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet, Valerie! They were a lot of time, but man I loved them!

      Delete